[Skip to content]

Healthy Places
Search our Site

Take Action - Legal Areas

  • Development controlA local authority can produce local planning policy to refuse consent for any new hot food takeaways in a certain area. This page explains the options for local authorities wishing to restrict the numbers of hot food takeaways opening in their area.
  • LicensingMobile traders are not governed by the planning regime. The Local Government (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1982 gives local authorities the option to regulate street trading in their area by designating streets as prohibited, consent or licence streets.
  • Cycle routes & guidelinesLocal Authorities have a range of powers to implement cycling infrastructure and modify the highway, footway and footpaths for cyclists' use. Most local highway measures are implemented through Traffic Regulation Orders (TROs) where local authorities are under a duty to exercise their powers to secure the 'expeditious, convenient and safe...
  • Parking restrictionsA number of legal measures may be appropriate where local communities have concerns about the level and nature of traffic around schools. These may form part of a wider scheme to develop school travel plans and safer routes to schools through education, walking and cycling schemes and in-school facilities.
  • 20mphA local authority has the power to set 20 mph speed limits on residential urban roads and roads with high numbers of vulnerable users. This may be combined with other traffic calming measures to form a'20 mph zone' or implemented as a signed limit only.
  • Green space development controlDevelopment control is determination of a proposed development's suitability in light of national policy and local plans, made by planning officers and local officials on a case by case basis. This is where local, regional and national policies on green space are put into practice.
  • Promoting car-free developmentsReduced car ownership and reduced on-street or off-street parking can have major benefits for local residents by reducing air pollution, noise levels and improving the attraction of the area for local walking, cycling and play. Reduced land for parking also allows the construction of more dwellings.
  • Local byelaws restricting play and physical activityThe National Institute for Clinical Excellence (NICE) guidance on Promoting Physical Activity for Children and Young People, Play England and other organisations have highlighted the need to move from a restrictive attitude towards 'ball-games' and other activities, an instead encourage appropriate sport and play in the public realm.
  • Planning and licensingThis page explains legal options for creating a healthier food environment by placing restrictions on hot food takeaways. Opening hours for hot food takeaways may be controlled by a condition attached to planning consent. Alternatively, a condition may prohibit a takeaway service at certain hours.
  • Planning levyThis page explains how local authorities may be able to seek a financial contribution as part of a grant of planning permission for a hot food takeaway; to mitigate its harmful effects on the health of the community. This is sometimes reported as a 'tax' on new takeaways.
  • Encouraging Community Growing SpaceThis page gives information on legal issues that arise in encouraging agreements for use of land as temporary food-growing space. Private and public landholders can be encouraged to provide land for community groups to cultivate while the land is awaiting development.
  • Street play orderIt may be useful to have a legal order in place to restrict through traffic on streets when play events are taking place. A number of local authorities in England are seeking to help local communities using a variety of powers. This detail explains part of the need for a local order and the approach taken by some authorities.
  • Cumulative impact policyCumulative Impact Policies (CIPs) are local 'special policies' to introduce a presumption against new licences to sell alcohol from bars, shops, pubs or clubs in a designated area.
  • Designated public place orderDesignated Public Place Orders (DPPOs) are used by local authorities to control drinking in public places. They grant police the power to request anyone to stop drinking in a designated area as well as the power to confiscate alcohol.
  • Early morning restriction orderEarly morning restriction orders (EMROs) can provide local authorities and licensing bodies with the ability to ensure the supply and sale of alcohol does not have effect during a specific time period, and at the area, specified by the order.
  • Late night levyA late night levy enables licensing authorities to require contributions from alcohol suppliers who operate during late nights, in order to generate additional contributions towards the costs of enforcement that the late night alcohol economy generates.